Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Poop Pants and Ezekiel Bread

I started this blog almost a week ago and that's exactly how long I've been hemming and hawing over what my first post would be about.  I thought "oh I haven't added the pictures yet" or "don't be such a negative nancy and don't write about the issues in life".  Truth is, life is kinda heavy sometimes.  I get really really discouraged reading blogs from women that "have it all together".  So you mean to tell me that your husband is so unbelievably amazing ALL the time that you never ever feel the urge to kick him and that your kids are so well behaved and angelic regardless of the setting that you have NO stress in your life?  I'm sorry, we can't be friends.  It's those women, the ones that are too afraid of imperfection to admit it, it's those women that make the rest of us feel like we're doing something wrong.  So here it is......my first blog post. And it's 100% real. 

Cole Harrison started kindergarten on Aug. 15th.  The first two weeks of school were literally spent talking on the phone with the teacher, emailing the teacher, or on our knees praying that we wouldn't ever hear from the teacher again.  I'm that mom.  I got so angry thinking this lady was singling my kid out and that just wasn't going to fly with this mama.  Despite my anger, frustration, sadness, etc. we pulled out all the stops every morning before school.  We were to the point about 5 days into school that we were laying hands and praying before we even pulled out of the driveway in the morning.  I never thought that something like Cole starting school would completely consume both Jake and myself.  I spent countless hours doing the research...Focusonthefamily.com and ADHD/ADD and Section 504 and gifted testing and anything under the sun that I could think of that would be an explanation for my Cole's behavior. It was exhausting.  Somewhere in that time Jake and I decided (which translates into, Jake finally convinced me) to just be patient.  That we prayed about it and God doesn't send us a text message with an answer when ask a question. I am not a patient person. But then....Cole had a good day. And he had another good day. And God reminded us that He was there the whole time. Week 3 rolled around and M, T, W were the same as before. Phone call, email, phone call.  I forgot every single email and every single phone call when Cole, with his tiny little Vienna sausage finger pointing to each of the words, read us a story on Wednesday night. Word for word. No assistance. No mistakes.  He finished and he sat back and looked at Jake and then he looked at me and the grin on his face made any amount of frustration that had mounted dissipate.  I have never been so proud of him.  God surely knew that the next day at school Cole would poop in his pants and this was the build up before the crash down.  Let's hope he keeps on learning to read because the emails and phone calls have only slowed down, not stopped completely ;)

All the while praying for Cole, Jake and I talked about some of our dreams.  And that's when the loop in the roller coaster that puts you completely upside down where the blood feels like it's going to pop your eyeballs out happens. We have this dream of expanding of our family.  Of following God's calling and instructions and bringing more children into our home.  And this happens with Cole, or I see other young mothers who seem to have so much patience and clear vision for God's purpose in their lives,  and I am the first to doubt. The first to doubt that I'm able. The first to doubt that this is God's plan for our lives. The first to doubt that children would benefit by being in our home.  And it's heartbreaking.  Jake was at work one night and I spent a solid hour crying over the defeat. The defeat of realizing that we haven't even started our journey and I'm already weary. Already weary in wondering if I'm a good enough mother. And weary in letting the devil convince me that I'm not.  And I start to wonder.....God sees all sins to be equal.  Does He look at mothers that way? I mean, truly, each of us is a hero in our own way. He's given us each our own amazing qualities that will get passed to these beautiful blessings that we call children.....but we are all very different.  I would love to think that He sees us all the same.  That when He calls His followers to take care of the poor and the needy and the orphaned and widowed that the call doesn't go out to only moms that homeschool, bake their own Ezekiel bread on the same day of every week, and keep the pleats in their apron perfect.  Maybe that's just my wishful thinking.....

2 comments:

  1. First off, I love you McKenzee Kubnick!
    My Adison is just.like.cole. There are days we absolutely have no idea how to control her or what kind of discipline to use (seems nothing works). Whenever we go somewhere, we have to make it "fast", we never know when Addy is going to have a melt down, no matter where we are. She is most certainly a 2 steps forward, 100 steps back kind of child. Every single day, EVERY SINGLE DAY when dealing with her Adam and I both think to ourselves..."what in the world are we doing, and why in the world are we bringing more children into this chaos". If we can't "control" one of our own children, how in the world are we going to control her and care for/raise another child who is not ours, and will more than likely have their own set of "problems". I finally came to peace about this... Addy is always going to be ADDY. She is always going to be just the way she is, strong willed, determined, stubborn, silly, hard headed, in her own world, sweet, funny, and beautiful. We will still be doing this when she is 7. And when she is 12. And when she is 17. So if we based "the perfect timing" for us to ACT on our children...we wouldn't be fostering or adopting until they are all three grown and out of the house! However, we CAN rest in knowing that GOD can do this. And I know that it's so cliche to say...but it's true. We have to depend on him to get us through each day...each hour...each minute and second. There will always be chaotic days, but like with Cole reading to you and Jake...HE always gives us moments that make us forget(at least for the moment) all of mess that day or week has been.
    My home is crazy. My kids are crazy, and every day I imagine one or two more kids...and I wonder if I need to check into a phsyc ward. I don't make my own bread. I don't own an ironing board or an apron. I don't work out of the home and I still have about a half inch of dust on every ceiling fan in the house.
    Just know he DOES have a plan, he DOES think about mothers, he does hear you, he knows your fears, your worries, he knows when your having a bad day, or when Cole is having a bad day. And remember that HIS timing for things to happen, is very rarely the same as ours! (ex- us. it would be much more convenient to wait until they are older or gone!)
    So excited to see where God is taking you and your family. Praying with you guys, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh McKenzee,I love how real this is! And no matter how many kids you have...whether it's one or two or five, there will be days where you feel behind and feel like you're not a good mom, but don't believe the lies! The Lord equips you to do whatever he calls you, including being mom to a kindergartner, mom to an allergic toddler, and loving orphans and widows! Hang in there! :)Thanks for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete